A small collection of paintings by East Greenlandic artists and the Danish painter Gitz-Johansen. The museum also owns a number of portrait busts made by Eigil Knuth. These are temporarily lodged at the townhall and can be seen there.
A traditional winterhouse/ turf house was built and furnished next to the Museum in 1993. It is a copy of an original turf house from the turn of the century. (Open in summer only) Special exhibitions are shown through the year.
Some of the permanent exhibition may be taken down from time to time due to limited space at the museum.Open all year.
In the small museum shop you'll find postcards, posters, books and local craft.
Ammassalik Museum is situated in the old church of the town. The museum was taken into use in 1990.
The first church of Angmagssalik drawn by P.A. Cortsen 1903. Being sent up same year, however, only finished and consecrated 1908. Originally the building included not only a church but also a school, as the school room was situated to the east. 1954 the church was extended to the west. The characteristic of Cortsen’s buildings is the relatively big eaves with visible, joined beam- and rafter ends. The church-tower is a small ridge turret with carved posts. The church is situated at one of the most beautiful spots in the town, on a ledge towards the harbour. The builder has been a little nervous because of the exposed location, the church being projected with some huge chains from the corners to the rock. The anchors are still visible on the church and in the rocks.